World Sight Day 2017: 6 Ways You Can Make a Difference
There are unofficial holidays commemorating just about everything these days. But today (Oct. 12) is a special day— it’s World Sight Day! This day is near and dear to our hearts because we are all about helping people find quality eyewear and eye care.
World Sight Day is held on the second Thursday of October, and focuses global attention on blindness and vision impairment. According to Optometry Giving Sight, 80% of all vision impairment is preventable or curable. That’s a frightening statistic. It underlines that a comprehensive eye exam from an optometrist means much more than a potential prescription. A comprehensive eye exam can even detect early signs of high blood pressure, glaucoma, and diabetes!
To support increased access to eye care globally, VSP Global partnered with other industry leaders on the World Sight Day Challenge Coalition to benefit Optometry Giving Sight, the only global fundraising initiative that specifically targets the prevention of blindness and impaired vision due to uncorrected refractive error.
This year, funds will support Our Children's Vision, an initiative to help children who are living without access to the eye care and the glasses they need.
VSP Vision Care will be talking about children’s eye health on Twitter from 12-1 p.m. ET on October 12. Join @VSPVisionCare using #shareforsight.
Want to know how you can help expand access to eye care? Here are five easy ways to start now:
- First, plan for an eye exam. Not only for you, but for your entire family. Don’t have an eye doctor yet? You can find one near you by using our Find A Doctor tool.
- Help someone you love see clearly by gifting a vision plan.
- Know someone in need? VSP Global Eyes of Hope mobile eye care clinics and gift certificates help qualifying adults and children receive the eye care and eyewear that they need at no
- Donate to the World Sight Day Challenge to support children’s eye health.
- Start an eyewear donation drive. VSP doctors will take your gently used glasses on mission trips outside of the U.S.
- Be social and share how you see the world with us. Tag us - #shopeyeconic, #WSD2017 and #shareforsight. This World Sight Day, let’s spread the word to eliminate avoidable blindness and ensure that universal eye health is possible.